Thursday, July 31, 2008

7.31 shopping tally

Location: Commercial Street
Total: approximately 7,500 rupees

12 large blue bangles: 20 Rs
-These are a gift for someone, and the last of the gift bangles I had to shop for. It's almost kind of sad that my shopping list is getting shorter and shorter as it signifies the end to come.
blue embroidered skirt: 950 Rs
-There was this exhibition of some sort at an outlet-type place and although the skirt is a bit long for my tastes, I couldn't pass it up since I hadn't bought any skirts in India yet. It's a cotton skirt with a printed leaf pattern and hand-embroidered sequins. There's also some gold sequins on the hem of the skirt, which makes it hard to decide if I should hem it to make it a more flattering length as I'd probably have to lose the sequined border. : /
dark blue, silk top: 660 Rs
-For the price, it was a sweet deal, considering the top is pure silk. It also doesn't hurt that it's a fabulously rich shade of blue with a subtle floral pattern all over it. The neckline is wide with a silver border, which is pretty nice, too. I almost didn't buy this top since I wanted it more fitted at the waist but gave in when I thought of later adding ties to the sides of the top so it can be tied back. I was also wary of buying a silk top since it means you can't just throw it in the wash, but the idealistic side of me figured I might need to dress up for something so I should have it on hand to wear with some skinny jeans and heels.
2 churidars (gifts), 1 salwar-kameez, 2 embroidered tops: app. 4,200 Rs
-I don't feel too badly about the price tag, considering I got a lot of bang for my buck (or, in this case, rupee) and 2 of the outfits were gifts, anyway. These items almost don't count since I bought them earlier, but today I picked them up since I had my own items altered. I was wary of having such baggy pants as they might make me look shorter and fatter, but they actually look okay. The top is an iridescent purple-green with a really nicely embroidered neckline (and I'm quite picky about embroidery and patterns), a matching green and purple chiffon-ish dupatta and green salwaar pants. One of the tops I bought is a nice yellow and the other is a blue top with polka dots on it. I actually saw the blue top the first time I shopped at Commercial Street nearly 2 months ago and at first, I decided against buying it. When I did change my mind, someone else was already looking at it! I considered it gone so it was amazing to be reunited with it the last time I went to that store.
5 magazines (Seventeen India, Marie Claire India, People India, Cine Blitz, Film Fare): 225 Rs
-I've been wanting to buy an issue of Seventeen India every since I realized there was an Indian edition of Seventeen and as for the other magazines, I'd bought them before and the new issues were already out. I'm trying to savor these and consider them my last dosage of Indian magazines unless I see some new ones at the airport on the way back to the US.
blue, pashmina/silk wrap: 1,500 Rs
-There's a cool, handy Indian crafts emporium on M.G. Road called Cauvery that sells all sorts of things from carved wooden items, brass items, shawls, silver jewelry, saris, bags, silk ties and even some tops and the products' quality is supervised by the government so it's more reliable than buying some of these things from other stores. Anyway, when Swathi told me there's a craftier version of Cauvery featuring northern items, especially pashmina shawls, I wanted to check it out and we actually found one on Commercial Street. I almost splurged and bought a second shawl that was a bright shade of purple, but fate intervened and all the purple ones in stock had a defect in the way they were dyed! So, I made myself content with just buying one royal blue wrap which will actually go well with my silk top.

I wish I had done a tally for all of my shopping outings, but it's a bit late to back track now since I probably can't remember which items went with which outing. Later though, I would like to do a post with a grand total tally though, complete with pictures and descriptions of EVERYTHING I bought and a grand tally of how much I spent (but perhaps not necessarily with the price of every item!).

1 comment:

rebecca said...

you have to show me eeeeevrything you bought! i need to live vicariously through you, you see.